G-man took down the crown moulding, and fortunately, only one piece was damaged (and we should be able to cover it up). He even remembered to label the pieces so we can put it all back up correctly! We will be painting it while it is down, which is MUCH easier.
All of this sounds good, right? Well, we hit a MAJOR snafu yesterday.
I went to order the carpet. We had previously picked it out (albeit awhile ago). I was going down to the store to arrange for them to come out and measure, and actually order the carpet. It is about a 2 week turnaround time for it to come in.
The kids and I drove to the store....to find out it WAS OUT OF BUSINESS. It was weird....EVERYTHING was gone. The FLOOR was gone...it was just concrete. Empty as empty can be.
There is another store that should have it, but their hours BITE. I will have to go down tomorrow and take care of it. And this is assuming they actually have the carpet. If they don't, we have to pick all new carpet. If this store also has a 2 week lag time, we are looking at the weekend of June 8 that it will come in. Then we have to have the carpet installed. That week....the kids have a field trip that we are chaperoning, Field Day, a PTA meeting, and a few other miscellaneous things.
Not a good week.
But we HAVE to figure it out, as my son's stuff will be all over our house until we can reload his room. Oh, and my parents are coming on June 19. We are cutting it close!!!
Wish us luck....