Thank you so much for all your warm congratulations! I debated "telling" you all until after we completed the inspection and appraisal process, but obviously decided otherwise. For that matter, we actually planned on waiting to tell the kids until then as well, but realized quickly that we had so much to do and discuss it would be hard to keep it from them.
The inspection is now scheduled for this Saturday....Halloween! The kids and I will probably go to the laundrymat during the inspection (and I will probably spring for using their dryers to make my life easier that day and use up the 3 hours we have to be out of the house). I am guessing the appraisal will be early next week.
In the meantime....Moving company #1 came out yesterday to give us an estimate. Company #2 is scheduled for next week, and I would like another 1 or 2 to come out. The good news from yesterday is that we actually have LESS stuff than the average 3 bedroom house (the rep has been doing this 20 years, so I am confident that he has a feel for this by now!). He also said that we are moving at the least expensive time of year (Win!). The quote came in a little under where we thought, but since it is an estimate, we have to plan for a little higher, just in case.
The kids are excited, although Bossy is having moments of sadness, and lots of moments of anxiety. For a child who needs routine and predictability....this is overwhelming (heck, it is for all of us!). Of course he wants to know when the moving truck is coming, what day he starts school. He is worried about his noise cancelling headphones for when we get a Christmas tree (the noise of the saw bothers him). Since I don't have the exact answers yet, I can only reassure him that I will let him know as soon as I know....and we will put his headphones in the "first night" box to make sure we can find them quickly. :)
School knows we are leaving, but I have to have a longer discussion with Bossy's Special Ed teacher regarding his testing (Federal law mandates testing every 3 years). Since they already started it, they have to complete it. We were going to meet in mid December to go over it, but I am now shaving at least 3 weeks off of that....and we will probably have to do it before Thanksgiving. Sorry school! But I did tell you all of this at our meeting in September....if we get an offer, we are out of here!
G-man and I had a surprising discussion last night regarding the town we are moving to. He has looked at 4 apartment complexes and 1 townhouse. He called about another town house and a single family home, but one was already rented and just hadn't cleared the system yet, and the other didn't take pets. The townhouse and one apartment go to our #1 pick school, but it seems that most of the apartments go to the #2 pick school (which is still excellent). However, he just sprung on me that the preferred school "side" of town...is also more rural. Rural??? When did we talk about rural???
He likes that side better, but he grew up where there was no one to hear you scream if you being murdered in the middle of the night. But he knows that I probably won't be as happy on that side. UM.....why is this just coming up now???? This was the key probably that I had with renting a place first....the kids would be starting HS and I don't want to move them AGAIN. If we commit to school #1....we are buying a house in a more rural area when the time comes. That is just the way the boundaries fall. School #2 area is more built up, a little more suburban.
I can't see any of this. I told him to take pictures and send them to me. But in all of our research....rural never came up. I could certainly live on the rural side for a year...but I keep telling him that while the "house" we rent for a year doesn't have to be our perfect place, the AREA it is committing us to DOES have to be where we want our forever home.
I am only 3 days into this and already anxious!!!! I better figure out how to calm myself down.....I have a long road ahead.