Tuesday, October 27, 2015
Step one of a zillion
It took 3 rounds of negotiations, which started a week ago, but as of this past Sunday night....our house is under contract. We aren't 100% clear yet....the buyers will have a home inspection and if anything major pops up they could walk away. But we are confident that it won't be an issue. The house is being sold As Is, so if the lender wants anything done, the buyer has to pay for it. We also have to clear the appraisal, but again....it shouldn't be an issue.
We ended up settling a few thousand from where we had hoped (from the point where we dropped the price a month ago), but we ultimately decided that our family was worth more than a few thousand dollars. We have the cash for it, but we probably won't have enough cash for the physical move. We have some...but probably not all. We will get money back from our escrow account and home owners insurance....and eventually our taxes in a few months. It will be fine.
We will be renting for a year, much to my dismay. We would be very rushed to purchase something and close in the time frame (closing on our house is the week of Christmas). This will allow me to find a job and then my salary will count toward our debt to income ratio. We will in a better place in 7-8 months. But I am having a hard time with it. Plus, G-Man is responsible for finding us a place, which I am not thrilled with. He gets hung up on unimportant details. But we need to find a place ASAP, hoping for an early December lease. This will allow us to be settled before Christmas, but Thanksgiving pretty much won't exist. It isn't prudent for me to fly down there to find a rental property. He and I will certainly discuss our options and he will send me pictures and videos. But I am going to have to just go with what it is when the kids and I get there.
We have so much to do, and I don't have alot of answers yet. I think once we know we have a lease things will fall into place. The date of our lease will determine our move date. In the meantime, I am having moving companies come in for estimates, researching other move options (hiring a crew in combo with PODS, storage options if we end up in an apartment, etc).
The big wild card at the moment is if G-man will be able to come back for the physical move. The government extended the budget through December 11, but we have no idea if a "shutdown" is coming. We should be ok....pretty good chance that we will be moving the week before all of that. But there is always a chance that his leave isn't approved.
Step one of a zillion, complete.8