Happy October!!! The last quarter of the year.....how are y'all doing???
As we go into the last 3 months of the year....here are the tidbits that are rattling around in my head....
1) Government Shutdown. Even though G-man is federal government, he is not effected on this front.....YET. First off, he said that his office is still open, but Sequestration (automatic spending cuts) is still on the table. Additionally, he is considered essential personnel...so he continues to work. However, there is a high chance that furlough is in our future.
2) Halloween! The kids have decided NOT to dress up this year and trick or treat. They would like to hand out candy. Weather permitting, we will all sit on the porch (or camp chairs at the bottom of the steps) and just enjoy the evening. Maybe some warm cider. G-man and I did that before the kids, and while we loved trick or treating with the kids....we are ok to move on from it. G-man will put our ghost family out in the yard today....and I have a project inside to finish (if my &*@$@ back will cooperate!). Need to get some candy though.
3) Thanksgiving. We invited a guy from G-man's office to join us if he doesn't go home. He is single, young. Lives on canned soup. Having one more person at our table won't matter....I cook enough for an army. And I will feel good that he isn't eating a HungryMan dinner.
4) End of year numbers. I ran a quick analysis (aka, punched some numbers into the calculator) and our end of the year numbers will be around where I predicted back in January. The good part of that is that I did have some idea where this was going. The bad part is that I KNOW the CC is to blame for not doing better....or more specifically....the people who use that CC.
5) Car and Home Insurance. Our car policy has steadily gone up. No accidents. No change in cars (technically, when I got my current car almost 2 years ago, it did change the monthly amount by a $1 because my new car was "newer".) But the agent said the rates in the state have gone up. It will impact our home insurance, although we haven't received that information yet. We switched companies a few years ago because of rising rates, and we may shop around again. I really don't understand the home insurance. When we bought the house, it was $434 a year. Now we are at over $1000, and we have done NOTHING to the house to impact this.
6) New budgeting way. I would REALLY like to be able to pay all the bills on a set day of the month. This requires building a sinking fund. I have sinking funds for some things, but to move all of the household bills in this direction will take time. So I need to look at what needs to happen to make this a reality.
7) Christmas vacation. I mentioned that I am taking the week off. Something I have never done....ever. We have been putting money aside to cover my loss of pay that week, and we are a little behind. My original calculation were based on a smaller per week number of hours. I think we are off by about $100. Not the end of the world. At least we will have something.
8) Christmas. I feel behind. I usually have started buying things. Not yet!! However, we do have some ideas and I plan on working on those shortly. I want to make homemade vanilla extract for the work folks, so I will order those supplies. G-man finished his birthday/holiday list, so I am going to just take care of those at the same time and call it day. Most of his stuff is not stuff that will go on sale. I am still trying to figure out stuff for the kids. We have decided to NOT send a ton of cards this year. It will probably be about 10, and I am hoping that I have 10 miscellaneous cards left from previous years (pre-photo cards) that I won't even have to buy cards.
My brain feels lighter.....thanks for listening!