Thursday, April 19, 2012

Mini-Vacay Tomorrow!

The kids are beyond excited!!!  Sesame Place, here we come!

Other than the last minute picking up around the house...I think we are good to go.  Kids are packed (by G-man, so I might just double check their bags).  G-man is packed, and I will be packed tonight.  Since we are only going for a weekend, it really isn't a big deal.

We finally got an EZ Pass, which will help us get through tolls much faster.  I have no idea why we never did it before.  But it saves us the trouble now of having to have cash, and having to wait on line to pay.  Just zip on through!

We are leaving around 1pm, so we should be ahead of the rush hour traffic.  We aren't on a schedule, so if we do get stuck in traffic, it isn't a big deal (other than the annoyance).  We will have some light snacks in the car, so no stopping for anything.

I tried to talk G-man into a picnic lunch at the park on Saturday.  Basically, we would have to bring a cooler and ice packs, and stop at a grocery store in the morning.  Yes, it would be an extra step, but lunch in the park is expensive.  He talked me into just eating in the park, as it is going to be in the 70's that day...and if our ice packs are melting (since we will have them out of the freezer as of 1pm on Friday), things could be questionable.  But really....he just doesn't want to deal with it.

We aren't buying souvenirs (we did last year), so we won't have that expense.  Breakfast is included with the hotel, and dinner is going to be easy (pizza one night....not sure about the second night). 

We are using the money from our overtime from January to March to fund this.  We don't have a TON of money (as some money went to G-man's boat fund...which then mostly was used to pay his speeding ticket), so I am trying to be careful with our spending.  For example...we went to an Italian place for dinner last year...and it was very overpriced, and not that good.  Not this year!

We still have some rebate Visa cards from other things, so that is about $100 "extra" we have.  I am shooting for not using them at all!  But we have a back-up plan just in case. 

The only expense that we have had that wasn't accounted for was rain ponchos.  At the beginning of the week, there was a high chance of rain and G-man ran to Wal-mart and bought disposable ponchos.  $28 for 4 of them.  As of right now...we shouldn't need them, so they will be returned. 

This will most likely be our only "vacation" this year.  We may go to my mom and dad's in November, but that hasn't been decided (and trust me...that is NOT a vacation).  I would love to take the kids somewhere for a longer vacation...but until our debt load is significantly lower...that isn't on the table.

I am looking forward to our weekend!

9 comments:

  1. I hope you all have a wonderful time, Mysti! It sounds like a great experience for the kids and a well-deserved break for you and G-man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "We will have some light snacks in the car, so no stopping for anything."

    Not even the bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only 3 hrs. We aren't planning on stopping, but if we have to....

      We limit drinks in the car and everyone goes potty before we leave. I think we will be ok.

      Delete
    2. The proper answer was supposed to be "Depends."

      All right, that was a sad attempt at a joke.

      I would like to check out Sesame Place too, and may do so very soon.

      Delete
  3. Hope you and your family have a wonderful time!! You deserve to have a good weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your trip! I did apply for the tickets but I never got them so I guess I was too late but now that I know about it I can get on that sooner for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds fun!! :) Have a blast!! Make sure to snap some pics!

    ReplyDelete