Thank you for your efforts to cheer me up yesterday. So here is the deal with Sassy's:
In general, the school has made inviting kids to a birthday party INCREDIBLY difficult. Invitations aren't "supposed" to go out at school (even if you are inviting all the kids). They want them to go directly to the child's home....but won't give you any information on how to contact the other family. My kids are 9, so they are able to talk to other kids and get some info, but what about the Kindergarteners??? I digress.
We spoke to each teacher and worked something out. Basically, I sent in the invitations, in a sealed envelope. The teacher put the invitations in the appropriate child's backpack and told them to take those home. From this point, we have absolutely no idea what happened to them.
We invited 3 girls of her choosing for her spa party. We have already put down a non-refundable $50 deposit. By Sunday, we hadn't heard from anyone. I had info for one family, as the mom is the Girl Scout leader (yes, Sassy is in Girl Scouts, but overall the troop isn't all that cohesive or active). The girl was in Sassy's class last year, and we sent her invitation to her house. I spoke to the Mom, and the girl has some allergies and they weren't comfortable sending her. Strike 1.
Sassy brought home the phone numbers for the other two girls (who, by the way....Sassy now says she barely talks to). I called the first mom, who was rude as rude can be on the phone. She acted like she had no idea about the party. But said they will be out of town. Strike 2.
Called Girl #3...and the number isn't in service. We have now sent home a note to Sassy's teacher to see if he can get in touch with the family. But we are more or less calling this one as Strike 3.
We haven't told Sassy yet. We already know she is going to be upset. And we are waiting to see if we can pull off a Hail Mary. But things aren't looking good.
We already decided that the day will be Sassy Day. G-man had already planned on taking Bossy for the day anyway, so that is fine. What we do for the day will be Sassy's choice. They have a Mommy and Me package at the spa if she still wants to do that. If not...then so be it. We can do lunch, a movie. Whatever she wants. If we don't do the spa, we will ask her if she wants to invite friend #1 to come with us (the one with the allergies). I am pretty sure her mom will be ok with it. And I have no problem taking both girls out for the day.
This is the parenting part that isn't in a manual somewhere. I know this isn't the end of the world. But my heart just aches for my baby who is about to get hurt. We have considered talking to the school social worker and see if she can observe Sassy. See if there is anything she is noticing that is impeding her friend making ability.
I am annoyed that no one RSVPed and I had to chase them down (which by the way....is the same issue we are having with Bossy's party). How hard is it to take 30 seconds and say Yes or No?
We also decided that there is a pretty good chance we won't use all the money we set aside for the parties. Whatever is left will remain in the account to be used for the kids....park and rec events, camp, etc.
And let me tell ya....Bossy's story is just as complicated and annoying!!!