Tuesday, April 19, 2011

A few updates....

We always have so much going on....


The washing machine - G-man took things apart, cleaned it....for the moment it seems to be better.  We also found out that the part that seems to be going is only $72 (vs. $125).  Let's hope that it doesn't come to that!  Luckily, we have a laundrymat around the corner, so if the washer does go out...we can at least get the clothes washed (and brought home to dry).

Camp - as of today....Camp for the kids is fully funded!!!!  Since it in an ING acct, we can't withdraw the money for a week....but it is so nice knowing that we saved up for a planned expense, and we can now enroll them both for 7 weeks of fun.  I am glad that I changed my savings strategy and put all my efforts into this one goal.  Moving on to saving for the kids' birthday parties, then finishing our Christmas fund.....then back to Camp again!  The cycle of the year....

Vacation - In an attempt at reclaiming some "family" time....we are taking a mini vacation this weekend.  The kids are off for Good Friday, but we are taking them out of school a few hours early on Thursday.  We will be going to Sesame Place!!!  This Friday is "Autism Day" and admission to the park is FREE, with a $25 parking fee.  But c'mon....$25 is nothing for a family of 4 to get into a theme park.  We found a hotel for less than $100 a night (with breakfast included and an indoor pool!!).  The kids are super excited!!!  And we need a few days to just focus on our family.  G-man had overtime in this week's paycheck, which will cover the cost of our weekend.

Refi Money - We are just about at the point where we are ready to pull the trigger and actually USE the money for debt now.  I am a little torn....of the $2,000 we will use for debt (the remainder is replenishing our emergency fund), the original plan was $1,000 to CC1, and $1,000 to the car.  BUT....G-man gets paid 3 times in May....if we take half of his extra check, and the full $2,000....the car is paid off!!!!!  That will free up $350 a month to apply to other debt (CC1 has the highest interest rate). 

If we stick to the original plan, the car will be paid off  in July.  (This is using half of his 3rd paycheck, plus $1000, plus regular payments....MAYBE we can swing a June payoff if we can throw a few snowflakes that way).

and last but not least....

Mysti/G-man - We are trying to work things out.  It is slow going.  Trust is a hard thing to earn back.  But he has been much more engaged with me and the kids.  He is back living at home, and we are both in individual counseling, as well as couples counseling.  It has now been just over 2 months since this disaster started, and we are no where close to being "over it."  But we are hopeful that learning to communicate with each other, learning to work through resentments and anger from our marriage, and rediscovering why we got married in the first place will all lead to a stronger marriage.  Wish us luck!!!

13 comments:

  1. Wishing you luck and adding prayers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to know that you guys are working on things. Have fun with your family and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wish you the best of luck! I hope things work out!! enjoy your vacation, you need it!

    HS

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO very happy to hear that things are going better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I would payoff the car, even though the credit card interest is higher. Freeing up $350 per month is attractive. And having a paid-for car is a big worry completely lifted from your shoulders.

    Your mini-vacation sounds lovely, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you can make it through this. I know it is very hard. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Pay off the car! I am going to pay off a truck soon. I have just concentrated all my efforts on this, just like your effort to fund the children's camp fees. I have never approached debt like this before. It works. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a happy post! I am so glad to see you are back. You have been missed. Keep up the great work you are doing, not only on your debt, but on your family. All of you are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the mini vacation is a great idea. You're doing really well Mysti

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sesame Place is awesome!!! I hope you and your family have fun. Indoor pool sounds nice right now too. It has been cold around here.

    Glad to hear things are looking better for you. I wish you the best right now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The mini-vacation sounds great! I am glad things are *starting* to get better between you 2

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everyone!!!

    We are looking forward to our little trip...the kids are so excited they are about to pee their pants!

    And I appreciate the outpour of support for me and G-man....let me tell ya....I don't recommend this path for ANYONE.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mysti, I am very proud of you and G-Man for staying together and trying your best to work things out. It seems these days that marriages are disposable and it warms my heart to see two people fighting to keep their marriage alive. I pray you find that old spark and remember why you chose to share your lives together.

    The vacation to Sesame Place sounds wonderful. We wanted to go there but never quite fit it into the budget - now our kids are too old. So go, and enjoy it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hope you enjoy your vacation this weekend :) also so glad to hear about your financial success in being able to fund the camp for the kids. All the best for your marriage, hope you are able to reach a balanced place in your relationship. Regards - Mr. Driving Safety

    ReplyDelete