Thursday, March 25, 2010

You mean there is a such thing as extra money???

Due to my recent illness, I didn't get my timesheet in before payroll.  I was hoping that I could get paid today, and in the past, this wouldn't have been a problem.  But my boss already paid the employment taxes and closed out the pay period.  Therefore, I will have to wait 2 weeks until the next payday to get paid.  Imagine my surprise, when I was ok with this!

 All of our March bills are paid for already.  Mortgage is due on April 1, and we have 80% of that put away already.  G-man will get paid on March 31 from his part time job, which will make up the rest of the 20% for the mortgage.  We have 1 bill due on April 4 (which is the day BEFORE payday), and we have our emergency fund to float that money for a day.

Granted, the cupboard is bare, so I will have to be careful with the grocery money.  Can't apply any extra to anything for a few weeks...but come April when I get a BIG check, I will be able to put that money to good use!

For the first time in YEARS, there is actually money left in our account and we still have a few days to go in the month!!!!  This is with snowballing, paying for 2 cell phone bills, and my few little impulse buys.  Of course, had I known I wasn't going to get paid for 2 more weeks, I would have held off on sending in some medical bills, the DMV registration that wasn't due until April 30, and maybe would have waited until NEXT payroll to make my contribution to my friend's fundraising efforts for Breast Cancer (I would give to the cause no matter what, as my mom is a Breast Cancer survivor, but I might have waited until NEXT month).

I do have to say that part of this has to do with the recent medical reimbursement we got for Bossy Boy.  That certainly has helped.  :)

What has this shown me?  That is is entirely possible to live below our means, and that we may have more money available than I thought.  Time to crunch numbers again and see what else we can squeeze into our snowball.  I think that it is entirely possible that we will actually get to be debt free before I am 40 (shhhhh, that was my secret goal......I am almost 35 now.)

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on your progress. While we're not there yet, I can't wait to get one month ahead on the bills. It's amazing how many people are doing the same thing (digging out of debt) right now. Were we all on the same communal crappy money decision drug over the past 10 or so years or something?