Someone hit the nail on the head....it is about what I thought my life would be at this age. Some of it is exactly as I pictured: married, kids, house. Some of it isn't anywhere close: job, debt, physical appearance.
After ALOT of thought on this....I decided that if I want my 40's to be better than my 30's (which had few highlights, and alot of life changing, terrible things), I have just over one year to get prepared. As of today, I have 14 months until I turn 40 (not that I am counting!). So I started a list of things I would like to do in the coming months. I don't know if I will be able to do them all....but how freaking cool would it be if I did????? I actually started formulating this list several few weeks ago, but am just sharing it with you now. So technically, I have already started working on it.
There is something I want to do for my 40th. It is entirely for me. I have only told my BFF, and she said she will come out here for "it" (not my bday, but for my thing I want to do.....peaked your interest yet? Get over it....not sharing.). I am not going to use this as a reward....I am going to do it one way or the other. I just think that the work I put into it will show.
Individually, each item has its merit (mostly). Some of you will disagree with some items....all items....whatever. I just know that 40 is coming, and I want to use this last year in my 30's to start the reboot process so that my 40's can be so much more than they would be if I just stayed on this path.
This list is in no particular order. Some of these items are to force me out of my comfort zone....some are just silly and I just want to see if I can do it. And some are to shape who I am striving to be. Some things, by their nature, come before something else. Some of these things cost money....some don't. (No, I don't have a plan on how to pay for the ones that cost money....just go with the spirit of the post, ok?)
So I give you.....my 40 before 40 list.
- Have debt below 40k (per What's the Cost, it will be around $44k by our current plan....)
- Lose 40 lbs
- Run a 5k
- Get new glasses (mine are 8 years old and probably 4 prescriptions old).
- Perform 15 Random Acts of Kindness (One down, 14 to go)
- Learn to count to 10 in 5 languages-English and Spanish don't count (I can count to 5 in Japanese so far...)
- Get my teeth cleaned 2x (I am terrible about doing this!)
- Visit a new state (right now Vermont is in the lead)
- Take one day off and completely "unplug" (no phone, unless kid emergency, no computer, no tv)
- Grow my crystal collection by 3 pieces
- Have my tarot read
- Have a past life regression reading
- Make 20 new recipes (One down, 19 to go)
- Eat Vegetarian for 1 week
Buy a pair of sneakers that are NOT white (I have NEVER owned sneaker that aren't white!!)
- Get mole removed from back of neck (it has been there since I was a kid).
- Post a picture of me on the blog......*sigh*
- Have one day where I don't talk (if you knew me, you would know that this is a CHALLENGE)
- Get a Coach wallet
- Get my Swagbucks total to 30,000 (currently 20,444)
- Polish my toenails once a month - not a salon pedicure, just at home (February...Check!)
"Decorate" my washing machine and dryer
- Figure out what to do with our alcove area (this will be a separate post with pictures)
- Have a one on one "date" with each of my kids
- Have at least 3 dates (not running errands without kids) with my husband (easier said than done)
- Purge 100 items
- Find a new job
- Read 15 new-to-me books (2 down, 13 to go)
- Wear a skirt/dress to work at least once a month (February...Check!)
- Finish all those "grown up" things I have been avoiding: life insurance, will
- Have naturally tanned legs (I know, I know...terrible)
- Figure out how to use Twitter (I started...I stink at it!)
- Finish my "control journal" for the house
- Have my eyebrows threaded
- Go camping
- Have 50 no-spend days
- Get a small tattoo (I have one already)
This post will become a "page" at the top of the blog for future reference. I plan on periodically updating my progress with you all. Wish me luck, skill, and fun!