Bossy has a feeding tube, and has had it since he was 5 months old. He will be 9 next month.
On a monthly basis, we have to order special formula, tubing, and misc supplies. Our insurance picks up 90% or so, which leaves 10%....or about $250 a month. We have had a financial hardship waiver for years. Our debt to income level was high enough that the supplier waived our 10%. But that has come to an end.
The supplier called this morning to tell us that their internal changes have capped the income level at $27k per year to qualify for assistance. So, now we will be responsible for the $250, oh, and all the charges that were pending while they figured it all out.
They are willing to set up a payment plan, however they aim to have a balance paid off within 6 months. The best we can tell, this would mean a minimum of $50 a month, once the current balance is paid in full (which is over $1000 now).
This is a HUGE blow. We have to sit down with the budget yet again, and figure out where to pull from. Mostly it will come from the extra debt repayment money. The quick answer....we need more income. Overtime, selling stuff, whatever.
Part of the reason we are where we are is from the medical stuff. We spend over 15% of our income just on medical.
Bossy does eat orally, just not enough. When you have a child who didn't eat at all until he was 4, almost 5....it is a long road. Add in the Autism. Add in the new revelation that he doesn't understand smell. And we are fighting an uphill battle.
I looked at state benefits, and the only program we would qualify for is $200 a month. Well, if I am going to pay the state $200 a month, then I can pay the supplier $200 a month and save myself the middle man.
Frustration doesn't even begin to describe this.