Monday, October 12, 2009

Reward points



On CC1, I am enrolled in a reward point program. I tried to cancel it, but it would have wiped out the current points (73,000!). So, the new plan became to spend the points accrued, and then cancel the program.

We have been tried to relocate for 4 yrs, and had planned on using the points for airfare for our house hunting trip. But alas, the move isn't working out...the points will expire....so let's just use them.

(I should back track a sec.....this got spurred on when I checked the account on line and it showed ZERO points, and I thought I lost all of them!!! It was a glitch. *wiping brow*)

I know they have a cash out option. I can't seem to access how to do this, let alone how much I would get for 73,000 points. I am guessing it can't be more than a few hundred dollars.

So I started browsing the merchandise catalog. Looking for stuff for Christmas gifts. Not alot that I would give as gifts.....but I did find a really nice SLR camera. :) We have been wanting a new camera for awhile, but since that was not in the budget, I haven't even given it a second thought.

It is sort of pathetic that this $500 camera is really cost us $66,000. One point for every dollar spent. So we spent $66,000 in order to earn the points to cash in for the camera. Add in interest...and this is just nauseating.

At least we will get something decent for all our woes.

4 comments:

  1. I am green with envy! A Nikon is on my wish list for after we get debt free... I won't let myself even think about it until then.

    Okay, so I just thought about it. But you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I wouldn't have looked at it either. But if I am going to cash in the points, might as well make it worth my while.

    But remember....this $500 camera really cost $66,000. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  3. So Mysti, did you sell the camera in the end? That might have been an option to consider as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, right before we got the camera, my parents gave us an early anniversary present of a new camera. Not quite what we wanted, but we couldn't justify getting another camera at that point.

    So....in the months since, some of the points have expired, and we are down to 68,000....which we are going to use to get a Wii for our children for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete