Monday, June 3, 2013

The Sofa Story

We are very happy with the new furniture, although it will take some getting used to.  The cushions are much firmer (uh, maybe because they still have structural integrity??), and the entire seat is higher than our old set.  But they are still comfy and we are happy.

The cats are less than happy with the sofa set, but are enjoying the new chair.  The arms on the sofas are much more narrow than before, so they lost their hang out spot.  Too bad!

I was quite annoyed with the delivery guys, who were almost 2 hours late.  We were given a 2 hr window for delivery....and they were 2 hrs outside of that.  They did call when they were "45 min" away.  Curious, since the warehouse is 5 min from my office, and that is 30 min.  Anyway, it was almost 1 hr 15 min after that phone call that they showed up. 

Additionally, there were 3 movers (but one supposed hurt his back, so his lifting abilities were limited).  Luckily we had some extra cash so we were able to tip all 3 ($5 per guy).

For now, painting the room is on hold.  G-man is feeling overwhelmed with house stuff (which is a whole other animal that I don't understand), so we are putting that project on the "Fall project" list.  We did gather a bunch of paint chips, but that is as far as it will go for the moment. 

****

Meanwhile....we had moved our old set onto the curb with the very fancy cardboard "FREE" sign.   I placed a "free" ad on Craigslist, and were hopeful that they would be gone shortly. I got one e-mail response asking if we would deliver them into the city for $25 (uh, no). 

Then.....a light at the end of the tunnel!  We saw some people looking at the set!  Yay!

Upon further inspection.....they were just trying to remove the slip covers and were going to leave the sofas!  Ok, I know they are on the curb...but without the slip covers, we had ZERO chance of getting rid of the set.

G-man ran outside and said "no....take all or nothing."  They argued that they just needed the slipcovers.  He argued back.  They left.  Maybe we were wrong.....but we didn't want to have to rent a truck to bring the sofas to the dump, then pay the dump fee....just so they could have the slipcovers.

Meanwhile, our neighbor came over and said his Sister In Law, who had been living with them for about 6 months, has found her own place...and maybe she could use them.  She arrived about 10 min later and took them (although a thank you would have been nice....but whatever).


Today is a rainy day (much needed after several days of 90+ degree heat).  Too bad I can't take the set out for a napping test drive!

11 comments:

  1. Glad it was picked up. I guess/hope your neighbor's SIL was just embarrassed and didn't want to extend the visit/situation. We're under t-storm and then sunshine, then more t-storms. It's going to be humid as can be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the SIL is a friendly person to start with. The 6 months she lived across the street, she never really looked up.

      Good luck with the humidity! Can you say FRIZZ???

      Delete
  2. I love 'free to a good home'. We have had several things adopted that way.

    I am chuckling over the 'will you pay for the delivery' query. Some people astound me.

    Enjoy your new sofa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that your old sofa found a home and that it wasn't the dumb, at your expense! :) The cats will come around; if they are anything like mine, change is hard...esp. if it is hard cushins that haven't been broken in yet. :) Congrats on the new sofa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes the cats will come around. The big fat orange one was sound asleep on the loveseat when I left. First time I saw him there!

      And they all love the accent chair. :)

      Delete
  4. Congrats on your new set! I did some house freshening up myself this weekend as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the house freshening. Hope you did some stuff that makes YOU feel better.

      Delete
  5. I didn't know people were supposed to tip delivery guys! I'm not sure if I would, anyway, if they were that late.

    Do you think maybe G-man is just being lazy and trying to make it sound more complicated than that, just to confuse you?

    At least someone took the sofas which is easier than hauling them to the dump!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never tipped delivery drivers and either. I'm a little jealous that you have kitties. My husband is allergic so we can't.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would never expect a thank you for something I had put on the curb for free. I would be thanking whomever took it saving me a trip to the dump.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Considering G-man helped load it up into her van, and she was getting something for free.....I do think that a simple Thank You isn't a lot to ask.

    ReplyDelete