Saturday, May 1, 2010

Reality Check

You know...sometimes it takes a really serious issue to snap you back into reality.

I whine.  I know I whine.  WAHHHHH, I want what I want and I want it NOW.  Well, Mysti....you can't always have it.  If you took more responsibility for yourself sooner, you wouldn't be where you are now.  Well....at least not as bad. 

I have noted here about all the things I would like to do....home improvement, purchases.  But in reality, none of these things really matter in life.  Family is what matters.  And when things go to pot, at the end of the day, it is family that is the only thing that really truly matters.

This week we got some staggering news about Bossy Boy.  Like, sit down, knock the wind out of you, blindsiding kind of news.  (He is ok, just incase your mind went there!).  But those of us with kids know that when you child is struggling, your Parent Protection Claws come out with an intensity you didn't know existed.  And on Tuesday when this all started.....I think I aged 10 years, and sprouted about 200 new gray hairs.

As I have mentioned....Bossy has medical needs and is Autistic.  Well, as part of his school process, he just underwent a huge battery of tests, and it has determined that his IQ falls in the borderline Mentally Retarded range.  And since this revelation....all I have done is cry. His educators feel that it is really higher but the Autism confounds the situation and those verbal and comprehension issues have really weighed down the score.

I am sad for my baby.  I am sad for the dreams that may or may not come true.  He wants to be a vet.  *sigh*

So what does this have to do with the price of tea in China?  Future plans.....that is what it has to do with.  The fact that we have no idea whether he will ever be independent.  And how do we begin to figure this out?  And how will we pay for it?  And how will our family cope?

You know what.....I don't know.  But today isn't going to be the day I am going to figure it out.  Today is the day that I am going to take my kids outside to enjoy the nice weather.  Today is the day we are going to grill hot dogs for dinner and have s'mores for dessert.  And have a cuddly movie night.

Family is what matters.  Go hug yours right now and tell them you love them.

1 comment:

  1. OMG!! I know this is way in the past, but 13 years ago a child I have cared for since he was 6 had the same label put on him. Now he wasn't autistic, but had serious issues and struggled all through school. But today he is in college and starting to make his way in the world. I hope by the time I get to the end of reading your blog - I just started at the beginning yesterday - that this situation has improved for you and him!!

    ReplyDelete